According to section 22 of the Bylaws of the University of Basel (in German only) of 3 May 2012 (as of 20 February 2014):
- Upon their employment or enrollment, doctoral and postdoctoral students of the University of Basel automatically become members of "avuba".
- Doctoral students and postdocs who do not wish to belong to avuba shall notify the Rectorate in writing. They thereby waive their rights of participation.
- The current membership fee is 20 Swiss francs per semester.
In accordance with the decision of the Rectorate on 15.1.2013, avuba will charge all assistants the avuba membership fee from the fall semester 2013.Doctoral students enrolled for the first semester are exempt from the avuba membership fee.
According to the decision of the Rectorate of April 29, 2014, the following deadlines for withdrawal apply:
- November 30 with effect from the following spring semester.
- April 30 with effect from the following fall semester